How to Appeal
First, submit a letter of appeal
- Prepare a formal written letter addressed to the Admissions and Academic Affairs (AAA) Committee. At the top of the letter, be sure to include your name, student ID number, address, and phone number. Describe the events and circumstances that contributed to your academic performance. This letter is a significant factor in the committee's decision. Providing details will generally be a benefit for you, but remember that your letter will be read by a group of faculty and staff, so provide only the level of detail that is comfortable for you. Then describe how you intend to improve your academic standing. Again, details will be helpful to you.
- Send the appeal letter as an attachment to the Dean of Students to email@example.com, or mail the letter to:
Admissions and Academic Affairs (AAA) Committee
c/o Office of Academic Affairs
Whitewater Hall 101
Indiana University East
2325 Chester Blvd.
Richmond, IN 47374
- Once your appeal has been submitted, please call 765-973-8252 to schedule your appeal hearing with the AAA Committee.
Then, attend your appeal hearing
Your appeal hearing with the AAA Committee will meet in Whitewater Hall Suite 100, which is next to the Student Accounts window. Be sure to arrive promptly for your appointment. Should you live a significant distance from campus, your appeal hearing can be conducted via telephone if you are unable to attend in person.
- During the appeal hearing, the committee members will read your letter and review your transcript. They will ask you questions about what happened and how you intend to improve your academic record. When the committee has a better understanding of your situation, you will be asked to leave the room while they discuss your appeal. When they have a recommendation, you will be called back in to hear the result.
- If you are reinstated, you will schedule a meeting with an advisor to register for classes as directed by the committee.